P3O ® Combined Package
(course code P3OC5)
A Project, Programme and Portfolio Office (P3O) model provides a decision enabling/delivery support structure for all change within an organisation. A P3O Model could consist of a single permanent office or be implemented as a linked set of permanent or temporary offices.
This course comprises five days of trainer-led instruction, and practical exercises, with the Foundation examination on day three of the course and the Practitioner examination on day five.
The Combined course blends our Foundation course and Practitioner seminar. This is an examination based course which leads to P3O accreditation at Practitioner Level. The course equips delegates with a detailed knowledge of the P3O framework including guidance on models, roles, tools and techniques, establishment of a new P3O model or rejuvenation of existing P3Os, then provides delegates with an opportunity to apply this knowledge.
The Foundation Course will:
- Articulate an overview of different ways a P3O model can add value;
- Recall and understand key reasons and benefits required to get senior management approval for a particular P3O model;
- Identify the different P3O models and the need to adapt to the organisation's needs, taking account of the organisation's size and Portfolio Programme and Project Management Maturity;
- Identify the key elements of a plan to either implement or re-energise a P3O;
- Recall the different purposes of a range of tools and techniques required in the P3O;
- Confidently attempt the Foundation Exam.
The Practitioner Seminar will:
- Build on their Foundation-level understanding of the principles and terminology of P3O best practice and be able to demonstrate that they have a full understanding of how to justify, build and manage a P3O;
- Define the business case to get senior management approval for the P3O;
- Build the right P3O model to adapt to the organisation's needs, taking account of its size and Portfolio Programme and Project Management maturity;
- Plan the implementation of a P3O;
- Understand how to use the tools and techniques described in P3O in running the P3O model and shaping the portfolio of programmes and projects.
Who Should Attend
This event is suitable for any individual with an interest in managing or working in a component of a P3O model;
Support staff who are looking for a formal qualification.
There are no prerequisites for the course, however some exposure to portfolio, programme or project offices would be useful.
The Foundation Course covers:
- P3O Overview & Principles;
- P3O Models and Tailoring;
- Implementation of a P3O model;
- Tools and Techniques;
- Roles & Responsibilities.
The Practitioner Seminar is scenario based, and focuses on the application of P3O under different programme environments and scenarios. Review and revision sessions of all P3O elements are included throughout the training.
Exclusive to Inspiring Projects, we have developed a full set of Practitioner-style exam questions based on a realistic scenario, to provide even more opportunity to apply and learn P3O.
The Foundation Exam is designed to test basic knowledge of P3O concepts. It is a 40 minute closed book exam with 50 questions in classical multiple choice format. The participant must score 60% or more of the available marks to pass the exam.
The Practitioner Exam is a 2¼ hour, open manual, scenario based multiple choice exam. The candidate must provide responses to questions presented in the following styles:
- Classical multiple choice
- Multiple response
There are 70 question lines worth 1 mark each, so the maximum score for the exam is 70 marks. The candidate must score 35 (50%) or more marks to pass the exam. Candidates for the Practitioner Exam must have passed the Foundation Exam.
We conduct these exams on behalf of APMG. APMG's terms and conditions are outlined here.
Please note: Exam candidates must bring signed photo ID (passport, driving licence, etc.) as they will be asked to produce it by the invigilator prior to the exam.
Delivery Options and Fees
We offer a range of delivery styles and packages for this course. Please go to the Packages and Inclusions page to review the inclusions provided with each package.
Candidates who pass the Practitioner exam are entitled to style themselves "Registered P3O Practitioner" on CVs and business cards.
Registered P3O Practitioners are required to be re-registered within 3-5 years of their original certification. We offer a P3O Reregistration seminar.
Successful completion of this course may entitle you to credits in various professional development programmes:
P3O® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
The Swirl logo™ is a trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.